Frequently Asked Questions
QUESTION: What is Henna?
ANSWER: Henna is a plant, lawsonia inermis that when dried creates a red-orange dye stain. It has been used for more than 6,000 years to dye hair, fingernails and to ornament the skin, Henna is extremely safe and actually nourishing – especially for hair.
QUESTION: Will Henna damage my hair?
ANSWER: Gypsy Rose Henna Powders will not damage your hair unless applied on top of existing synthetic chemical colours including tints, bleach and sun-bleached hair as well as hair that has been permed or relaxed.
QUESTION: How Henna Works?
ANSWER: Henna coats each hair shaft with a natural, semi-permanent protein called hennatannic acid. Heat causes the hennatannic acid to cling to the proteins found in the hair (or nails and skin, if desired). Because henna coats and seals the hair shaft, it helps protect the hair from damaging effects of the sun, salt, chlorine, wind and pollution in the environment. It can minimise split ends and acts as “hair insurance” if you spend a lot of time in the sun, surf or wind. In addition to protecting the hair shaft, henna will tighten the hair cuticle and create a more solid surface which reflects light, the result is gleaming, lustrous hair.
Rather than producing dramatic colour changes, henna enhances and deepens existing colour. The darker your natural colour, the less drastic the change will be in your natural colour. Because the colour from henna is transparent or “sea through,” henna cannot lighten dark hair, it will however, add highlights to dark hair and can darken the colour of lighter hair.
QUESTION: Can I continue to use Gypsy Rose hair products?
ANSWER: Yes. You should use your Gypsy Rose 2-in-1 shampoo to wash the Henna out of your hair after application and every wash thereafter to condition and protect your new colour. See Instructions for advice on what to use prior to application and the do’s and don’ts with Gypsy Rose products.
QUESTION: Can I add other ingredients to henna?
ANSWER: It has been widely accepted that it’s ok to enhance the henna colours For a richer colour: Add either lemon juice OR apple cider vinegar to the mixing water. These will affect the pH of mixture giving a richer colour.
For a darker, richer colour: Add either coffee or little brewed tea to the Henna powder. This will enrichen brown henna or darken red henna.
For a deeper red: Add a little red wine to Henna powder. This will enrichen the copper henna.
QUESTION: Why do a test strand?
ANSWER: We recommend a test strand first to get the correct timing and colour result. If the product is left on too long, you will go a few shades darker, deeper, and richer. Mix: 30ml of boiling water with 1 tsp of colour powder. Wait a few minutes for the mixture to cool and then apply on hair underneath the nape. We recommend a time frame of between 15 mins to 120 mins – checking colour depth every 10 mins by wiping off colour with cotton wool. See: Strand Test Instructions
QUESTION: Why didn’t my colour take?
ANSWER: If your hair is completely resisting absorption, contact us as you may have a build up of synthetic and/or silicone products and need to do 2 week trial using our Gypsy Rose 2-in-1 shampoo or Kombucha shampoo body bar to remove build up. If you’re using our Gypsy Rose products, then this will not be the case.
QUESTION: What are the safety precautions?
ANSWER: We recommend to do a Patch test even though pure Henna is safe for use on everyone, including pregnant women and children. Be aware though that most henna products on the market do contain synthetic chemical preservatives. Current international standards restrict the use of synthetic chemical hair dyes for those under 16 years of age, with precautions now on all hair dye packaging around the world. No wonder as the root of the hair stems from the hair papilla under the scalp, it absorbs everything that goes onto the scalp and is a direct path to your organs.
This usually involves dabbing a small amount of the henna paste behind your ear or on your inner elbow and leaving it to dry. Follow the instructions that come with the henna. If you develop any irritation or feel unwell after the patch test, do not use the product. See also: Strand Test Instructions
QUESTION: Why can’t I apply henna over my synthetic colour?
ANSWER: Most henna has a natural golden base, so it is UNUSUAL for matte green colour tones to occur when applied on top of other brand colours. However, if you choose to mix products, we make NO guarantee, as product ingredients vary widely and we cannot be held responsible for how other products react with ours. Reactions can range from matte green overtones, and darker shades, to extreme hair breakage with structural damage.
||140 × 210 × 50 mm
Instructions for Use
Included in your Gypsy Rose Henna Hair Colour Order is:
- Henna Colour
- Complete Instructions
YOU WILL NEED NON METAL:
- Mixing bowl
- Colour applicator brush
- Well fitted strong gloves
- A front opening robe or shirt to protect your clothes
- Hair sectioning clips
- A re-usable shower cap and scarf/towel to wear while the colour is developing. Dryed on Henna is difficult to shampoo out, this will make it easier.
- An old sheet to stand on, to protect staining floor from falling mixture
- Do not wash your hair with Gypsy Rose Products within 3 days of application. Our products are too conditioning and may result in patchy colour absorption.
- Do not do any Gypsy Rose Treatments within 1 week of before application.
- Do a strand test – first to determine timing for desired depth of colour visit Strand Test Instructions
If the product is left on too long, you will go a few shades darker, deeper and richer. Mix: 30 ml of boiling water with 1tsp of colour powder. Wait a few minutes for the mixture to cool and then apply on hair underneath the nape. We recommend a time frame of between 15-120 mins – checking colour depth every 10 mins by wiping off colour with cotton wool.
- Do a patch test – This usually involves dabbing a small amount of the dye solution behind your ear or on your inner elbow and leaving it to dry. Follow the instructions that come with the dye. If you develop any irritation or feel unwell after the patch test, do not use the product.
- Hair should be freshly washed and dried with a natural or organic shampoo (DO NOT USE Gypsy Rose 2-in-1 Shampoo) OR ANY CONDITIONER.
- Apply a thick barrier cream to hairline to avoid staining skin. Be careful as any hair covered by this cream will not absorb colour. Stained skin can be cleaned with a mix of lemon juice and olive oil.
- Please read our product disclaimer.
- Add required quantity of Henna Powder with enough hot water to make a thick yoghurt-like paste. Remember, if you have extremely long or thick hair, you will require additional product to ensure even coverage. (If you make up too much product, it can be frozen for later use).
- SHORT HAIR: 60g of Henna with 1 cup (250ml) of hot water
- SHOULDER LENGTH HAIR: 90g of Henna with 1.5 cups of hot water
- LONGER HAIR: 120g of Henna with 2 cups of hot water
- ROOTS ONLY (4cm REGROWTH): 40g of Henna with 2/3 cup of hot water (You will get approximately 2.5 applications from 100g of product.)
- Allow the mixture to cool for 4-5 minutes BEFORE APPLYING
- Thoroughly brush your hair.
- Section the hair into 4 quarters, ear-to-ear and forehead-to-nape to form a cross on your head, pin medium and long hair up.
- Must do back 2 quarters first, then front 2 as head is warmer at front and will process quicker.
- Always dip the brush lightly without excess dripping product, apply onto the cross lines that divides quarters. Then apply around the entire hairline approx 2.5cm, proceed to wipe off any applied to skin of forehead, nape, behind and on ears. This will keep quarters neat and easier to section stripes of hair.
2.Starting at the top of your head, use the handle end of the applicator, to separate thin 1cm stripes of hair, apply onto both the top and bottom sides of the hair strip from root to mid-length. Use a cross hatching motion to ensure full strand coverage. Pay particular attention to the front hairline, crown and the centre parts to ensure the roots are fully covered.
3.Once the roots are covered in each stripe, massage the colour mixture to the ends.
4.Wipe product off skin quickly as you go along
5.Cover with a plastic cap and scarf/towel sit in a warm place or heat up with hair dryer just for first 5 to 15 minutes. A warm environment will help the colour to develop and give a more intense colour.
- IMPORTANT IF ONLY APPLYING PRODUCT TO ROOTS: apply neat to just before the hair regrowth line as the product will bleed naturally and avoid overlapping the regrowth.
- FADED MIDLENGTHS AND ENDS can be refreshed when they do not match the roots. After determining how long your roots timing is, you would apply to midlengths and ends 2/3 way through that time slot. Then check the depth of colour at 10 minute intervals. You MUST strictly monitor timing, as henna on top of henna will darken quickly particularly if you have fine hair. Note: the process will take slightly longer on thick/course hair.
- HOW TO CHANGE FROM SYNTHETIC CHEMICAL COLOURS TO 100% HENNA PLANT COLOURS
The henna colour must always be applied ONLY to roots until all the darker solid colours are cut or grown out. PROCESSING/APPLICATION TIME
- For example: When a customer has dark mid-lengths and ends that are a solid chemical colour and uses henna for the first time at the roots only, it will give the appearance the henna didn’t take. It is just the way the eyes see the comparison of the two. ANSWER IS TIME … be patient as after each application you will see less and less of the synthetic chemical hair colour, due to growing it out and cutting it out. When all chemical colour is gone then work your way up to another lighter shade, you will have less noticeable regrowth and be colouring a lot less often.
- ROOT APPLICATION/VIRGIN HAIR APPLICATION: leave for 15 min to 70 mins for fine and or lighter base shades of hair.
- Increase time up to 2 hrs for longer, thick, or dark hair. NOTE: all trials have been on average 45 to 70 mins
- DO NOT leave longer than 3 hrs or sleep with colour on.
- Check depth of hair colour and scalp for any discomfort every 15 mins. IMMEDIATELY wash of if any discomfort, seek medical advice if instant relief is not forthcoming.
- Using well fitted gloves rinse off well, until no colour in water.
- Using use our Gypsy Rose 2 in 1 shampoo or Kombucha shampoo body bar to shampoo out minimum 3 times. Must shampoo until you remove all henna paste!
- Squeeze out excess water before applying a natural conditioner, comb through and rinse well
NOTE: Gypsy Rose Henna Powders will not wash out, but fade out. They will lose intensity a little after a few washes to look even more natural.
Ingredients (Origin India)
- Natural Henna Powder
- Indigo Powder
- Amla Powder
- Neem Powder
- Bhingraj Powder
We recommend doing a Patch Test before using this product for the first time.
Follow our instructions here: Strand Test Instructions
This usually involves dabbing a small amount of the henna paste behind your ear or on your inner elbow and leaving it to dry. Follow the instructions that come with the henna. If you develop any irritation or feel unwell after the patch test, do not use the product.